Simple orange banana smoothie that is sweet and high in vitamin C. One smoothie covers over 300% of your daily need in vitamin C and contains other important minerals and vitamins. The healthy orange smoothie is packed with anti-oxidants and makes an easy immunity booster!
Importance of vitamin C in your diet
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is typically used to boost immunity. It also helps with collagen formation, the absorption of non-heme iron, and the metabolism of folic acid. Signs of a vitamin C deficiency can include: Scurvy, fatigue, inflammation of the gums, poor wound healing, and anemia (vitamin C helps with iron absorption)
Adult women should consume a minimum of 75 mg and men should consume 90 mg per day. Today’s smoothie recipe contains 274 mg of vitamin C!
Nutrition of the Vegan Orange Banana Smoothie
One smoothie contains 270 calories, 70 g carbs, 1 g fat, 12 g fiber, and 5 g protein. It also contains a decent amount of calcium (194 mg), magnesium (65 mg), folate, and B-vitamins.
The smoothie provides a great boost of anti-oxidants and other important nutrients for a low calorie snack. It tastes pretty sweet but is also customizable.
I like to use whole oranges instead of the juice. The whole food is always healthier because it contains all the macro and micro nutrients, including the fiber!
Smoothie add-ons and substitutes
For the smoothie you need 3 navel oranges, one lemon, and one half of a banana. You can add just a little bit of water for better blending, but the water in the oranges and lemon might be enough.
If you want to adjust the smoothie here are some ideas:
- Make it tropical: Instead of water you can use 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut milk. You can also add pineapples to the smoothie.
- Add omega-3: Add 1-2 tsp of ground flax seed to the smoothie to increase anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Make it green: The oranges have a dominant taste, so 1 cup of fresh baby spinach won’t change the taste but will provide a serving of leafy greens.
- Spice it up: Use cinnamon or fresh ginger to give this smoothie a kick.
- Sweeten it up: The orange banana smoothie is already sweet, but if you’d like to increase the sweetness, add a whole banana instead, or add one pitted medjool date.
- Vanilla: Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract for a warmer taste.
- 3 navel oranges, peeled
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix.
- Add more water if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 70gFiber: 12gProtein: 5g