Budget friendly easy vegan sweet potato chili that is oil free, gluten free, and great for weight loss. This one pot meal is instant pot and 21 day fix friendly and contains 420 calories for only $1.35 per serving.
Searching for a cheap comfort food recipe that is also healthy and promotes weight loss?
Fueling your body with the right nutrients and enjoying a delicious meal at the same time doesn’t have to be complicated. This healthy vegan chili recipe can help with weight loss, and if you are not concerned with weight you can increase the ingredient and serving size.
This meal is also budget friendly and easy to prepare. You can use a crock pot, pressure cooker (I use this one) or simply one large pot to prepare this meal.
Cost of the vegan sweet potato chili
- 3 bell pepper: $1.99
- 3 small (or 2 medium=3 cups) sweet potatoes: $0.96
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed or diced tomatoes $0.95
- 1/2 onion, diced $0.12
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed $1.10
- garlic and seasoning: $0.30
This recipe is about $1.35 per serving. Please note that these numbers depend on season and store. I got all my ingredients at Aldi and made this meal in August. Also, I only calculated the price based on the items I used, not on the bulk I bought. You can use the leftovers for other recipes.
Vegan Sweet Potato Chili Recipe Nutrition
The vegan sweet potato chili contains 420 calories per serving, 18 g protein, 18 g fiber and is low in fat. I use cronometer to track the nutrition of my recipes and meal plans.
In the image above you can see that the recipe is high in B-vitamins that provide extra energy and is also high in minerals like iron and magnesium. If you are muscle building you can enjoy 2 servings and get 36 g of plant based protein with 840 calories.
Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
This meal takes no longer than 30 minutes to prepare. You can use a normal pot or a pressure cooker. You could use a packaged chili seasoning mix or simply use the spice recommendation below.
You can also add more chili to the recipe if you like it more spicy. This one pot meal also makes a great freezer meal and you can use this for your meal prep.
- 3 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed or diced tomatoes
- 3 cups / 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 t salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 t cumin
- 1 t paprika powder
- 1/2 t chili
- 1 t oregano
- Optional topping: avocado, cilantro
- Optional: Instant Pot (6 qt.)
- 3/4 cup water
- Add everything into a large pot or a instant pot (I use the 6 quart)
- Let simmer on medium heat until potatoes are soft (15-20 minutes) or set instant pot to meat/stew high for 5 minutes (closed valve).
- Top with avocado and fresh cilantro for extra flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 2-3 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 2.22gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 89gFiber: 18gProtein: 18g