The vegan mushroom black bean burger recipe is a healthy vegan alternative for beef patties. 2 patties contain 275 calories and are high in folates, minerals, and fiber. One patty costs about $0.58 to prepare for a budget friendly burger option.
Have you tried meatless burger patties without the egg and wonder how to make them stay in one piece?
I was buying vegan burger patties at Aldi for a long time because my attempt to make them without meat and eggs simply failed. After 4 failed attempts I can finally share a recipe that is easy and actually tastes delicious.
Note that the time you have to leave the patties in the oven varies depending on your oven and desired results. You can leave them in longer to make them more crisp or shorter for more softness.
You can also vary the toppings for the vegan bean mushroom burger. I think a BBQ sauce would work amazing with the flavor of the patty.
Below is the cost of the vegan black bean mushroom burger:
- 1 box (8oz) mushrooms $1.09
- 1 cup oats (gluten free) $0.45
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed $1.10
- Spices $0.20
- 1/4 medium onion $0.10
- Whole wheat buns $1.70
This recipe makes 8 patties, so one patty would cost $0.58. You will definitely save a little bit of money making the patties yourself. Please note that these numbers depend on season and store. I got all my ingredients at Aldi and made this meal in December.
Also, I only calculated the price based on the items I used not on the bulk I bought. You can use the leftovers for other recipes. The price of this meal also varies depending on the toppings you choose.
This vegan recipe is pretty easy to prepare. If you like to make these burgers on the grill, you need to pre-bake them a bit, otherwise they will be too soggy. You can bake them 10 minutes on each side, then give them a nice crisp on the grill for about 5 minutes.
If you are trying to lose weight, you can also enjoy a couple of these burgers, just make sure to use a whole wheat bun, and add some steamed broccoli on the side for a balanced meal.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add one cup of oats into a blender or food processor and grind into powder. Move powder into a larger mixing bowl.
- Now add mushrooms, onion, and beans in the food processor and chop until small/almost creamy.
- Combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl and divide mixture into 8 batches. You can press the mass down into the bowl then slice it into 8 pieces like a cake.
- Roll each batch into a ball then press down on a baking sheet into a burger patty. It should be the size of your burger buns or a bit larger. View the images to see how thin the patties should be.
- Leave the patties in the oven for 30-35 minutes but make sure to flip them after about 15 minutes. The burgers will be crisp on the edges but soft inside. You can adjust the baking time to your desire.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun and add your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 patties Serving Size: 2 patties
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 2.6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 16.3gProtein: 16g