Healthy vegan Italian asparagus spinach gnocchi recipe with peas and chickpeas. Easy, weight loss friendly (380 calories, 21 day fix friendly) plant based dinner meal on a budget ($1.88 per serving).
Are you as ready for spring and summer as I am?
Today’s recipe is an amazing vegan spring or summer recipe with lots of fresh green vegetables roasted in garlic and Italian herbs, chickpeas as the vegan protein source, and whole wheat or potato gnocchi (use gluten free ones if needed).
Italian Asparagus Spinach Gnocchi Recipe Nutrition
The vegan Italian gnocchi recipe contains 415 calories (if you use 3-4 T of olive oil), 14 g protein, is high in B-vitamins, vitamin A and K, iron and zinc, and contains 11 g fiber.
I chose potato gnocchi to make the recipe but you can also use whole wheat gnocchi. Just check the ingredients before you buy. The whole wheat gnocchi contains more protein but less B-vitamins.
If you need to eat more (for active people or body builders) I recommend doubling up on the recipe. This will make 712 calories and 29 g of protein.
21 day fix: For the portion control system, one serving of the recipe (415 calories) contains 1 yellow, 2 green, 1/2 red, 2 tsp.
Cost of the vegan gnocchi recipe
- 1 can chickpeas $0.58
- 16 oz. gnocchi $2.50
- 1 bundle (4 cups) asparagus $2.97
- 2 cups frozen peas $0.50
- seasoning and oil $0.40
- 2 cups spinach $0.60
One serving of this recipe is about $1.88 per serving. Please note that these numbers depend on season and store. I got all my ingredients at Walmart with the Walmart grocery pick up and made this meal in March. Also, I only calculated the price based on the items I used, not on the bulk I bought. You can use the leftovers for other recipes.
- 1 can chickpeas (1.5 cups), drained and rinsed
- 1 bundle (4 cups) asparagus
- 16 oz. gnocchi (vegan, potato or whole wheat)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 t Italian herbs
- 0.5-1 t salt (depending on taste)
- Large pan
- small pot for gnocchi
- 1-2 T olive oil (optional)
- Cook the gnocchi according to the package (about 3 minutes), then drain.
- Steam the cut vegetables and chickpeas in 1/2 cup of water for about 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- Scoop the veggies to the side and create a little circle in the middle of the pan. Add garlic and olive oil and roast for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. If you don't use oil, simply mix in the garlic after draining the veggies and heat for a few minutes.
- Mix in the gnocchi and all spice. Stir to combine. The nutritional values are with 1-2 T olive oil.
You'll get 415 calories using 3-4 T olive oil. You can also avoid the olive oil completely.
Double up on the serving size if you need more calories. 2 Serving sizes give you 711 calories and 28.7 g protein.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 12.5gCholesterol: 0mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 11gProtein: 14g