How to make Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp and Tomato
Learn how you can put a spin on your pasta dishes with zoodles or zucchini noodles. This zoodle recipe is quick and easy to prepare aside from being delicious.
Are you the type of cook who’s willing to experiment? If so, have you ever thought of cooking a different kind of noodles? I’m not talking about fried noodles, teriyaki noodles or any other Asian noodles.
I’m referring to zoodles or zucchini noodles. That’s right— this is noodles made from zucchini.
This recipe was provided by Susan from Cook The Stone.
Why should you even try cooking zucchini noodles? For one, zucchini is one of the healthiest foods you can ever eat in your life. It is also very abundant in the summer, and since it’s that time of the year when the sun is out, I figured this is the best time to eat more zucchinis.
RECEIVE EXCLUSIVE UPDATES VIA EMAIL!
- HEALTHY AND BUDGET FRIENDLY RECIPES
- MEAL PLANS AND WORKOUTS
- FITNESS AND HEALTH TIPS
- CHALLENGE GROUPS AND PERSONAL COACHING
Zucchini Noodles for Weight Loss
This is also the type of dish that I would recommend to pasta lovers who want to reduce weight. Zucchini is an excellent weight loss food.
Do you know that zucchini contains a mere 17 calories per 100 grams? As such, you can eat a lot of zucchini dishes like zoodles and become satiated without worrying about your weight because of its very low calories.
Aside from being low in calories, zucchini can also increase our metabolism which in turn allows our bodies to burn more fats. Zucchini has high levels of vitamin A which promotes oxidation or burning of fats.
Moreover, zucchini contains soluble fiber that detoxifies and insoluble fiber that improves intestinal health and promotes removal of fats and toxins.
Shrimp and tomatoes for weight loss
The two other key ingredients of the zoodles recipe I am about to share—shrimps and tomatoes—are also known for their weight loss properties.
Shrimps are not only easy to cook; they’re very good for people watching their weight, too. Shrimps pack a lot of proteins but have very few calories. In fact, one ounce or 4 large shrimps have just 30 calories but contain six grams of protein.
These crustaceans are also rich in vitamin D and B-vitamins that are known to boost energy.
Like shrimps, tomatoes are also great choices for people looking to lose weight. A large tomato contains 33 calories while a medium sized one has about 20 calories. And a cup of cherry tomatoes has around 27 calories.
Tomatoes also have large amounts of water, so eating them can satisfy your hunger and keep you satiated for a long period.
Zoodles with shrimps and tomatoes recipe
Now let’s go to the recipe. This recipe makes two servings. You should be done with this in less than 25 minutes.
- One to two zucchinis
- Ten large shrimps (peeled and deveined)
- One teaspoon of non-dairy butter
- One tablespoon of lemon infused olive oil
- One cup of red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- One teaspoon of granulated onion or powder
- One tablespoon of chopped fresh basil (or more for garnish)
- One slice of lemon
Tip 1: It’s up to you what kind of shrimp you are to use; whether it’s fresh, frozen or pre-cooked. If you’re to use frozen, just make sure that you submerge the shrimp in cold water for at least 10 minutes. Afterward, pat the shrimps with kitchen paper towel.
Step by step guide:
- Make the zoodles first with the use of a spiral vegetable cutter or peeler. Slice off one end of the vegetable then cut lengthwise slices until the seeds are reached. It’s up to you if you want to keep the peel on.
- Heat the pan before adding a tablespoon of olive oil and two minced garlic cloves. Saute the garlic for a minute then lower the heat.
Tip 2: It’s up to you to use whatever oil for this recipe. I was just a bit fancy to use lemon infused olive oil for this one, but that doesn’t mean you should also follow suit. If you don’t have olive oil, coconut oil is a good alternative.
- Add the deveined shrimps. Cook for 3-4 minutes. You’ll know that the crustaceans are cooked when they have an orange-pink color.
- Add a cup of sliced tomatoes and chopped basil. Saute for another 5 minutes before you season with salt, black pepper and a half teaspoon of onion powder.
- Put a teaspoon of butter before adding the zoodles. Toss to coat the zoodles before seasoning with salt. Turn off the heat before finishing it with a squeeze of lemon. Serve immediately.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can also experiment by adding other vegetables. I once added mushrooms to this, and it was fantastic.
The dish – Zucchini noodles with shrimp and tomato – is highly recommended for those wanting to lose weight. It is very low in calories but very filling. And it doesn’t take a lot of time to cook it!
What do you think of this recipe? Let me hear it from you. Please write in the comments section below.