Super easy 20-minute Vegan Mexican Tomato soup. This whole food plant based dinner is oil and gluten free, healthy, and budget friendly. One serving contains 140 calories and you can add toppings like avocado, corn, and cilantro.
All ingredients of the Mexican tomato soup are very simple and easy to get at any grocery store. I blended a can of white beans into the soup to add a source of plant based protein. You won’t taste the beans at all, but you will enjoy their health benefits! For more protein and added calories try adding some cooked quinoa.
The soup is made with tomatoes and a bell pepper which adds lots of vitamin C to the meal. This Mexican tomato soup makes a great vegan weight loss meal and is especially delicious during winter time.
FREE 8-DAY WEIGHT LOSS MEAL PLAN PDF
Sign up for the newsletter where you'll receive (wfpb) vegan recipes, meal plans, and promotional deals, AND grab your FREE welcome gift.
Nutrition of the Mexican Tomato Soup
One serving of this Mexican Tomato Soup contains 140 calories. The vegan soup is high in vitamin C, iron, magnesium, and zinc. If you add one half of an avocado and 0.5 cups corn, you’ll eat 300 calories, 13 g fiber, 12 g fat, 44 g carbs, and 12 g protein.
You can also double up on the serving size to increase caloric intake.
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, core removed
- 2 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 lime, juice
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Optional: salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: corn, avocado, cilantro
- Rinse and drain the beans then add them to a blender.
- Cut out the core of the bell pepper and add to the blender. You can cut it in half to make it fit. Then add the tomatoes and 2 cups of broth and blend it all together.
- Add 3-5 tablespoons of water or broth to a large pot and add the pressed garlic. Set to medium-high heat and "fry" the garlic for 1-3 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Now add the liquid from the blender and heat it up on medium heat. Add the cumin powder, juice of one lime, 1 tsp onion powder, and optionally salt and pepper.
- Add optional toppings as desired.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 0.7gCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6.7gProtein: 8.6g