Easy vegan eggplant curry recipe that can be done in under 25 minutes. It is gluten free, oil free, and soy free. One serving contains around 400 calories and 13 g of protein.
This healthy eggplant curry recipe contains simple ingredients that you can find in any store. It includes one eggplant, chickpeas, bell pepper, coconut milk, and spices. All in all, this recipe contains less than 10 ingredients.
The bell pepper adds a nice boost of vitamin C to the meal and it is blended into the sauce. You won’t taste the bell pepper but can enjoy 79 mg of vitamin C per serving, which is 100% of your daily need in vitamin C. It’s a great immunity boosting meal!
You can serve this simple eggplant curry over quinoa or brown rice. I like to use quinoa to speed up the cooking time. If you are quick, you can get this meal done within 20-minutes!
The eggplant curry contains important B-vitamins, iron, zinc, folate, and magnesium.
If you add 0.5 cup of cooked quinoa to one serving of the vegan curry recipe you’ll get 523 calories, 18.5 g fiber, 20 g fat, and 17 g of protein.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 0.5 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 28 oz. diced canned tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow (or orange) bell pepper, cubed
- optional: salt and pepper
- optional: rice or quinoa on the side
- If you add rice or quinoa on the side, prepare it according to package.
- In a large pan, fry the diced onion and pressed garlic in 1/8th - 1/4 cup of water on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel eggplant and cut into bite sized chunks, then add to pan.
- Add the canned, diced tomatoes to the pan, stir, and cover with a lid.
- Cut the bell pepper in half, wash, and remove the core.
- Mix the coconut milk with the bell pepper in a blender until smooth. Pour this mix into the pan.
- Add the spices and the (rinsed) chickpeas to the pan and stir to combine. Set the heat to medium, add the lid, and let simmer for about 15 minutes. You can let it simmer longer if you wish.
- Add salt and pepper as desired and split the eggplant curry into 4 equal parts. Serve over your favorite whole grains. ENJOY!
Nutrition information is without grains.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 18.6gCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 15.9gProtein: 12.9g